Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 4:57 AM GMT (Fri, November 10, 2000 at 8:57 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Actually...

we're not hiring our "smart network people" from Cal Poly, if you must know, though we are hiring some "smart customer service people" from there.
I assure you, the resumes that I have for network staff are more than adequate in and of themselves. But in case they weren't, I've talked to quite a few very smart networking people over the past 3 months who are ready to come to work for us. And actually, many of them already do, as contractors, and helped us with our latest upgrade as well as the preparation of our application. ICANN's criticism of our lack of technical staff is ironic in that not only do we have a considerable force of contractors (and hence, they were not named as employees as they are not), but Afilias has a total staff of zero. None. Their claim that they have a wide technology pool to draw upon in their membership is questionable, at best. First off, their members are all over the world - are they going to relocate that many people? And even if they are, do you actually believe that register.com is going to just let their top network guys relocate to take a job at Afilias? I don't think so.

We're both in the same boat as far as hiring. The difference is, we've already done it, with our contractors, the vast majority of whom have said they would like full-time jobs.

Just another place where ICANN heaped criticism on our application where it was not only not warranted, but actually more apropos to the other .web applicants.

Feel free to criticize our application, but please do not just presume that we cannot handle running a registry based on your own preconceived notions. If you're really that curious, feel free to set up an appointment with me, and I'd be glad to give you a tour of our facilities and talk to you about network and registry operations and stability. I'll even introduce you to some of our smart people. Shall I ask a few of them to post to this comment board and introduce themselves? It would be clutter, but if it would go towards your fears, I'd be please to do it.

Oh, and one other thing - please don't compare us to NSI, by the way. They don't learn from their mistakes, but we do (learn from their mistakes). It's my opinion that our technical staff is better than theirs (especially since David Holtzman left - now if he was still there, I might have to change that assessment).

Christopher Ambler

Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.
The .Web Internet Domain Registry
http://webtld.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy