Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jarvis
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 4:58 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.75 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: thank you

>I don't believe...IOD is technically superior. I've been a developer for years now and can agree completely with your post, with the exception of one important point.<

Thank you. Another person with some relevant experience.

In regards to your comment, it's quite possible that some NSI employees would opt to leave to go to a new registry. I know lots of people who change jobs just for new challenges. It's not going to be easy though. In today's market, tech workers are demanding a lot more. Stability is once again becomming very important. A good challenge, nice pay and stock options aren't going to do it anymore. I think ICANN's analysis shows that there are many stability questions about the IOD organization.

But besides that, are we going to select IOD based on the chance that some NSI people will bring real experience to the table? What if that doesn't happen?

Bottom line is that there should be no what ifs here. You yourself admitted that Afilias is technically superior. They obviously have a lot more money than IOD has. Therefore, I can't see how they're not the obvious choice for the .web registry. Are we supposed to give .web to a less qualified applicant just because they're the underdog?

As for competition, Afilias has a much more diverse base of members than IOD does and ICANN does a good job pointing out the fact that even though NSI is part of the membership, each member only owns 5.25% of Afilias and the maximum is 11%. That is no monopoly. That is TRUE competition if I've ever seen it. IOD will bring revenue to one company - IOD. Afilias will bring revenue to multiple companies, big and small, here and abroad.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy