Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: cambler
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 7:29 AM GMT (Sat, November 11, 2000 at 11:29 PM PST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Answer

The staff recommends that the board consider us for negotiation. I take this as a positive step. Especially in light of the fact that all of their criticisms of our application were in error, I feel even more confident that this fair process will result in our being asked to negotiate a contract with ICANN for our .Web registry.

As for the USPTO, please note that their guidelines are just that: guidelines. They do not carry the force of law. They are open to appeal, and I believe that our attornies have done so.

But this is really not all that important. The trademark rights are not important. What is important is that we are running a stable registry, have been for over four years, and have participated, in good faith, in this process since day-one. In the absence of any substantive problem with our application material, there is no reason for ICANN to not negotiate the contract with us, as their staff report recommends (even when they mistakenly believe that there are problems with our application).

Especially in light of the fact that both Afilias and NeuStar have stated, for the record, that they are perfectly willing to operate registries for any of the other TLDs they specified in their applications, there is no reason to grant .Web to any other applicant than Image Online Design. To do so would be to make a mockery of the whole process of introducing competition. Surely this is not lost on ICANN, and this process will, when the day is done, be seen to have been open and fair, even if it didn't appear to be so at the time.

Christopher Ambler

Christopher Ambler
CTO, Image Online Design, Inc.
The .Web Internet Domain Registry
http://webtld.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy