Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kristopher
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 11:28 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Interesting point

>On the other hand, if ICANN selected Neustar, .Web will be jeopardized because NeuStar, Inc can be bought over by NSI/VeriSign. This is also the same for IODesign. I was talking the other day with Bruce C., General Manager for VeriSign Global Registry Services and he told me that NSI will try to buy over NeuStar or IOD if any one of them gets .Web.<

It wouldn't surprise me if something like this did happen. We're already seeing it now with the consolidation at the registrar level, as a handful or registrars account for the majority of .com, .net and .org registrations.

It's not so far fetched to believe that consolidation would occur at the registry level with the introduction of new TLDs. I'm sure Mr. Ambler would tell us that he wouldn't sell out, but money talks. NSI has lots of money, and money is very convincing. And we know that none of the applicants for general TLDs are in this for good karma.

At least with Afilias, we won't have to worry about the likes of an NSI coming in and buying a new monopoly, since each member can own a maximum of 11% of the company. This ensures a competitive registry operation that allows the wealth to be spread amongst a diverse group of member companies.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy