Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kristopher
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 9:55 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.76 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Another reply

>You only commented on 2 of his points. I'll presume you must agree with the others. So let's take a look at the 2 that you don't agree with.<

I thought we discussed assumptions below. Just because I didn't feel the need to respond to points that I felt were irrelevant doesn't mean that I agree with them.

>2. You doubt the reliability of Image Online designs application. Wouldn't it be very easy to test this? As IOD clearly has a first right on .web, ICANN should discuss a one-weeks-test-bed with IOD, where Afilias, Neustar and ICANN itself may "bombard" IOD with free-registrations to a test-databank. Should IOD not break down completely, as you, the evaluation team suppose, then they should receive .web. If they DO break down, well, then they loose it. To avoid legal consequences, their databank with the 20'000 existing registrations could still be transferred to the winner (Afilias or NeuStar).<

If ICANN wants to add a test like this to their evaluation criteria, I'm all for it. If it's going to be done though, every applicant should be able to participate in similar testing. IOD doesn't deserve any advantage or preference, regardless of what IOD pre-registrants seem to believe.

>3. We informed ICANN of serious problems within NSI, who are currently charging registration fees twice, if domain names are being transferred to another registrar. Did you look into that?<

I'm not aware of this, however it wouldn't surprise me. NSI, for lack of a better word, is crap. That's why I don't register domains through them. However I don't see what relevance this has to the Afilias application, since NSI owns only 5.25% of Afilias. Certainly the other Afilias members acting as registrars wouldn't let this happen because it would possibly hurt them financially. Which is another nice thing about Afilias - you've got companies that don't necessarily like each other working and compromising to build a competitive system.

>This is false, as I've said almost 50 times now. We have committed to having our RRP up and functional within 30 to 60 days. Afilias, on the other hand, has not. They will only have their membership to register with. Since they're the owners, that's no competition at all. They've given no timeframe for admitting registrars. We have.<

I'd rather be guaranteed that a minimum of 19 companies are competing on Day 1 than to be told that there *might* be competition on Day 1.

>Absolutely. So we were criticized for having a hard time hiring in California (which is untrue), yet Afilias has members all over the
world and hasn't even chosen a location for their company yet, and they get praised? Hardly seems fair. As for diversity, the members of Afilias, as owners, cannot be called "diverse" in the mode of competition, as they are owners. Competition, in this case, must question who owns the registry, and their registrar policy. Afilias's owners comprise 98% of the existing market, and they have no timetable for admitting non-member registrars. This isn't diversity, it's market-lock.<

You see it that way. I see it the same way ICANN sees it. It might be hard to believe Chris, but there are people who *do* see things differently than you.

>Afilias is a single company. IOD is a single company. Regardless of who owns it. If you take this logic, then Microsoft has hundreds of thousands of owners (they're called shareholders), yet they're a monopoly.<

On paper, yes, they are single companies, but Microsoft shareholders are individuals and companies that don't compete. The owners of Afilias are companies that *do* compete. Also, the organizational structure of an LLC is different from that of a corporation in that the revenues and profits are passed through the LLC to the member companies.

>7. We wonder why the application of NeuStar has not been refused. The release shows that NeuStar submitted .web on their own, yet their application still lists "JVTeam" as the technical and financial basis.
NeuStar's .web application doesn't reflect the current situation anymore. We can't see, why it wasn't refused. The fact that this application has "generously" NOT been refused raises questions as to the objectivity of the evaluation team.<

I am unimpressed with the NeuStar application and don't consider them a serious contender considering that the Afilias application is much stronger than theirs. Hell, I like the IOD application more than I like the NeuStar application.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy