Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory W. Krajewski
Date/Time: Mon, November 13, 2000 at 12:03 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Sir, Do you even know anything about Afilias???  .......That is what I thought!

Here are some pieces of the puzzle "goodriddance..":

Subcontractor (Affilias): Tucows, Inc. ("Tucows")

This was not mentioned in Afilias application, however it was for Dot Dir: http://www.icann.com/tlds/report/dir1.html 

"Since Tucows has not run a production TLD, there is some risk that they lack some skills required"

Security (Afilias):  The use of Exodus Communications offers strong physical security measures.  Some issues of security are a little underspecified, such as the password procedures used and whether links between sites are properly secure.  Issues of securing the connections between the mirrored facilities should be more completely discussed.  There is no discussion of logging and monitoring facilities for security purposes, nor of periodic security reviews of the system

NOTE:  In all fairness, the reviews have a lot to be desired, so I do not post these comments to bang on the Afilias application, however I do point out that even with the Afilias group owning 80% of the dot com market (which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT not to look over), and having a few comments, such as the above--since Tucows is the subcontractor (which were repeated in other applications where Tucows and Exodus were used), leave a lot to be answered as to why IOD was treated "differently"

LASTLY TO ANY ICANN BOARD MEMBER:  If these public comments are going to be used (as they were in the reviews) you must tighten this board up, as "stealth" posters were being quoted in IOD's app....I have no problem with the general public being involved (however I do believe you have something to "hide" if you don't come out of the closet, if you know what I mean"...Frankly we need to reach people, however the latter issue I raised would be a reason to stop this nonsense...All IOD supporters want is to be heard...We are vocal, and try to stay on topic....However it is tiring to read posts from people called, "GoodriddanceIOD"....or last week's board, "SayNoToIOD"....

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy