Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: layman
Date/Time: Sat, April 15, 2000 at 9:44 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Oh, Domains

To suggest that the famous companies to use .TM and .REG TLDs is the same as to ask firms in Manhattan to relocate to South Pole. Sure they can increase their sizes thousand times, but who else will go there to visit their offices.

The famous companies are famous because they have been good for many years. I am so tired of the whining that rich companies registered all the names. Why don't use your brains creatively to find some good domain names.

Yes, big corporations registered many trademarks. But for whom? For their shareholders and their customers. They are protecting their customers and shareholders values, no more no less. Without these shareholders and customers, they would not be so famous today.

However, if only the famous trademarks are given protection, that may create another problem - restricting the growth of the smaller companies. Therefore, all the consequences have to be considered before any actions are taken.

Certainly there are still some domain names available under .COM, .NET, and .ORG. If not, why can’t people use MYCOMPANY.AOL.COM or MYFIRM.NS.COM. I still want people convince me why people want MYCOMPANY.WEB instead of MYCOMPANY.AOL.COM?

Well, behind this domain debate, there are always some hiding agendas. You know, I know, and everybody knows.

Layman
Not speak for any organization

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy