ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] VeriSign - At it AGAIN

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] VeriSign - At it AGAIN
  • From: "Dave M" <damcobra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:14:16 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Have you ever needed to ask for directions while you were driving? Let's say you stopped to ask a trusted authority, like a police officer.

You'd expect that officer to be honest, right? Wouldn't you expect him or her to provide you a safe, direct route to where you needed to go? I sure would.

But what if that officer instead misdirected you to a shopping mall? A shopping mall, it turns out, that actually paid the officer for every sale that resulted?

That would be an abuse of the police officer's authority. It would be capitalizing on your misfortune.

We believe that's what VeriSign is doing with its "Site Finder" marketing scheme. We believe that it is once again abusing the power to oversee all .com and .net domains it was granted by the U.S. government.