Re: [ifwp] Re: An appology and a question

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 27, 1998 at 05:04:24PM +0000, Eric Weisberg wrote:
> > First, I appologize for calling you a "fool"  (not to mention mispelling your
> > name).  The characterization of another's thoughts is not a proper subject of
> > debate, just the merits.
> > I could well prove the fool in all this.
>
> Sticks and stones and all that.

  How true.  But as one that has thrown allot of those stones this is suprising.

> > But, let me ask you a question. Assuming none of us is qualified to serve, are
> > we all disqualified to vote, as well?
>
> I've said this stuff before, but...
>
> In a recent message Gordon Cook quoted Ira Magaziner:
>
>     There will still be oversight going on after October first by the
>     US government, in consultation with other governments, for a
>     period of time afterwards.  The bylaws, as agreed on in this
>     current draft, are written to be flexible and to be amended over
>     time.
>
> Implication: direct government oversight for some time into the future.

  Oh really?  Hummmmm?  Interesting evaluation.

> More important, though: the entity we are all so concerned about is
> just a corporation, a corporation that is very close to a monopoly.
> It can be sued by anyone in the world; it cannot engage in activities
> that will send it afoul of government anti-trust agencies in the US or
> elsewhere.  It has to walk a straight and narrow legal path at all
> times.

  Yes very close to a monopoly.  And totally unnecessarily so.

  They should be under great scrutiny in that the IANA and NSI foolishly
elected not to provide for a Membership Organization initially.  And it is this
very lack that will eventually be it's downfall.

> Even more: The Board members, especially the initial board, will live
> in a fishbowl surrounded by hungry cats.  There are large corporations
> that will be watching like hawks, with legal departments armed and
> ready.

  You got this right!  We are well armed and financially prepared for justa
potential battle.

> The idea that the Board is going to indulge in wild power trip
> adventures is absurd.

  And how can you possibly know this?  How do you define "WIld Power
TripAdventures"?

> Death by paralysis is far more of a concern.
> Getting a board that is capable of doing anything at all is going to
> be hard.  We need a board composed of people who have *real* stature.

  Stature is irrelevant.  We need a board that has the mandate of the
Stakeholdersand/or Members.  In that there is NO membership Organization, this will
not
occur.  Hence any Board will be met with great opposition sooner or later and that
will
be the major cause paralysis.

> Am I capable of picking such a board?
>
> No.
>
> Am I qualified to pick such a board?
>
> No.
>
> Is there any conceivable realistic fair election process that can pick such
> a board in a time frame of interest?
>
> No.

  Incorrect.  Certainly there is!