Re: [ifwp] EFF comments on IANA/NSI draft

This is *not* about Internet Governance!
This *is* about Internet Governance!

This is NOT about Internet Governance!!
This IS about Internet Governance!!

This *IS* about Internet Governance!!!
This *IS* ???

For almost two years, we have heard from the leaders of the
EFF and other organizations that this process was NOT about
Internet Governance.  They claimed that it was simply about
taking care of some minor administrative details to keep
the Internet running properly.

Bottom line, few wanted to admit that we have been debating
the future of Global Internet Governance -- not only the minor
administrative details, but eventually, the major public policy
issues that will affect every Netizen of the entire virtual World!
Small things like access, free speech, privacy, etc ;-)

So why is the EFF, all of a sudden, singing a new song?
Could it be that they changed their stripes??

Well, this latest case of intrigue started back on September
17th.  That's when John Gilmore wrote a lengthy email titled
"Initial analysis of new Draft NSI/IANA Bylaws."  It was a
surprising work, because it was a drastic departure from
John's previous positions.

It was broadcast on Dave Farber's Important Person's (IP) list.
If John Gilmore's position was surprising, having it distributed
to the reported 20,000+ members of Farber's list was shocking!

It was so surprising, in fact, that Dave Farber felt compelled to
preface its distribution with an unusual message that said he tries
to "present all serious opinions on an issue,"  that he was "proud
to be called a liberal," and a promise to "send out responsible
arguments on all sides of an issue."

Thinking that it was an odd email, combined with an odd intro,
I decided to take Dave up on his offer.  I sent him a copy of my
summary of the NSI/IANA Bylaws, and I asked him to forward it.
When he did not, I asked:

	Was it not a serious opinion?
	Was it not a responsible argument?

He promptly replied that he was planning to forward it, but that
he was having formatting problems.  So I sent him a pristine copy,
and he again promised to publish it.  Here we are, ten days later,
and nothing!

In my opinion, the EFF announcement is propaganda, pure and
simple.  It is probably part of a new PR campaign (agenda to
follow).

Dave Farber (Jon Postel's reported graduate professor, and
a member of ITAG) and John Gilmore (an active CORE supporter)
have not changed their stripes.  They have simply put on their
Halloween costumes a little early, and it is our job to figure
out what kind of party they are throwing.

Whatever their agenda, it is time for the press to start
covering this debate.  If this fight *is* about Internet
Governance (**AND IT IS** -- even the EFF says so!), then
their silence is highly suspect.

Maybe they are confused.  Maybe every available reporter in
the world is covering Clinton's sex life.  Or maybe the press
is concerned about preserving their power, just like the many
others who are currently negotiating behind closed doors to
capture power and control.

One thing is certain -- five years from now, people will be

asking why these decisions were made with virtually no press
coverage.

Stay tuned, this week should be *very* interesting.

Regards,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.
404-250-3242  http://www.iperdome.com