ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] for discussion: the definition of "abuse"

  • To: "gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] for discussion: the definition of "abuse"
  • From: George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:53:13 -0400

Hi again,

Just to clarify my prior comment, I would still "care" about what
happens in other gTLDs (besides the big ones like
com/net/org/biz/info), to the extent that there are certain minimum
standards, even in those that are sponsored or are in any other
newly-created class of gTLDs.

Suppose, for example, registrant verification became a minimum
standard, via a PIN code mailed to the WHOIS contact, to curtail
abuse. If certain sponsored TLDs want to go above and beyond that
minimum standard, and say not only do we want that, but we also want a
security bond of $1000, or a DNA sample, or a notarized letter, or a
certificate of incorporation, or a retina scan, they'd be free to do
it, above the minimum standard, in consultation with their
constituents.

Just like there are self-signed SSL certs, 128-bit, 256-bit, Extended
Validation SSL certs, etc. They all meet some basic minimum technical
standard, but some go above and beyond.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/