ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: "Andrei Kolesnikov" <andrei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:13:04 +0400

I'm sorry to say this, but we should never use
police examples for the issues we discussing.
This is not appropriate. Should I say, that in
some countries, national law enforcement agencies
are more or less OK fighting with cyber bad guys.

I'm for the simple procedure of blocking ANYTHING
by giving the power to the individual GAC members
to object any TLD string. Then you blame country
he\she represents, not the ICANN.
It works very simple. If country is not in
GAC, it still have power to block it locally.
If country is presented - then its publically visible
and can be loudly aired.

The function of MAPO objections cannot be in the
hands (panel) of individuals, internet gurus, religious
leaders, superheroes, space travelers, etc. It is
a function of governments (hopefully) representing
a population of certain territory and nation.
Half of the population in this world live outside
of the tradition of "public panels" made of "experts"
even if its "wide".

--andrei