ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: "'Andrei Kolesnikov'" <andrei@xxxxxxxx>, "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:38:20 -0400

Andrei
Your concept simply doesn't work in a global network. Given ANY government
(whose authority is confined to one national jurisdiction) the right to stop
ICANN (which controls the _global_ namespace) from adding a TLD is to
illegitimately and unlawfully extend that government's authority far beyond its
proper bonds. To put it more directly, the Russian govt may have the power to
censor the press and media in Russia, but it does not have any legitimate right
to censor my speech in Syracuse, or in Germany or in Malaysia.

The idea of a single-state unilateral veto is not only a terrible idea on
legal, moral and policy grounds, it was specifically rejected by the GAC.