ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:55:11 -0400

Philip, I am having trouble making any sense of this argument.
Are you saying the ICANN has succeeded in stopping internet crime? Has the GAC?
If not, why are they in a better position to deal with "objectionable" names.

The failure to stop fairly sophisticated methods of hacking and attacking via a
transnational computer network really has no bearing whatsoever on the need for
an international committee of censors to decide what character strings can be
used as TLDs.
Any national govt that wants to block a TLD is fully capable of doing so - it
doesn't require a foolproof way for solving all methods of internet crime.

Aside from that,  how does your argument deal with the fact that there is not
and never will be agreement on what is objectionable?

> So, isn't the DAG4 proposal about right?
> The only action then is best endeavours to have a wise panel.

One problem with the current MAPO regime is that is outsources the decision to
the International Chamber of Commerce