ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] charter and mission
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:57:36 -0400

Philip:
There are huge differences, enormous differences. With trademark, you have a
well-developed body of national law that has been negotiated and codified into
international treaties over more than a century. We know what a trademark is,
why we protect them, over a century of precedent regarding issues such as
passing off, concurrent use, consumer confusion, confusing similarity,
dilution, trade dress and so on.

We do not know what "morality and public order" is when applied as a _global_
standard. We have no international treaties defining it, no precedents that
apply across multiple national territories. A national polity or local
community may have some legitimate basis for saying that a specific name
violates _their_ standards. An "examining staff officer" has NO such basis for
making MAPO judgments on a global basis.