ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Redefiningthe 4th criteria

  • To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Redefiningthe 4th criteria
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:10:07 -0700

Phillip,

Because among the nations of the EU there is a shared understanding of what
constitutes a society, what normal sensitivities are, etc.  I doubt that
cartoons of the prophet Mohammed caused the barest murmur at most European
breakfast tables when first published, yet provoked riots in other parts of the
world.

As an example, when I started the .TM (Turkmenistan) TLD with the co-operation
of their Ministry of Communications, within weeks I was threatened with arrest
if I ever set foot in the country because of second-level names that I had
"allowed" to be registered:

pizza.tm - apparently, "everyone knows" that this is a common euphemism for
female genitalia
books.tm - an incitement to revolution, as apparently there was (is?) only one
sanctioned book in Turkmenistan, written by the late great unlamented leader
himself
yellowpages.tm - a clear infringement on government prerogatives

The Turkmeni regime is going to be unhappy no matter what we do, but it doesn't
much matter because it generally doesn't allow its citizens access of any kind
to the Internet. We are not going to please the North Korean leadership either.
But between the EU formulations and the paranoia of autocrats there is a broad
spectrum.  Our job is to find a solution that will work for most of that
spectrum in order to "maximize" access for the largest possible set of ordinary
people.   We can't get there if we reference "societal norms" when they can
hardly be said to exist on a global basis.

Antony