ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:31:44 -0400

Not entirely. There is Principle G to contend with (the one that guarantees
that free expression rights will not be compromised). In other words, while we
do have a mandate to prevent approval of TLD strings that clearly violate
internationally recognized norms and conventions, we do not have a mandate to
prevent approval of any string simply because someone somewhere finds it
repugnant. Any "repugnancy" argument must be linked to internationally
recognized norms and conventions, such as racial discrimination, child
exploitation, violence, etc.

--MM