ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Int'l vs nat'l law (was: Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections))

  • To: "soac-mapo" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Int'l vs nat'l law (was: Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections))
  • From: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:56:55 -0400

It may therefore be clearer to maintain the distinction between an objection
based on international law criteria and one based on national law prohibitions.
The former goes through the what-used-to-be-known-as-MAPO dispute resolution
process (dependent on narrow, specific categories - TBD - recognized under
principles of international law), while the latter goes through some form of
[highly?] modified Community Objection process.

I'm afraid I can't join the call today but will try to catch up with the
discussion later.

Thanks,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the
Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584