ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors

  • To: "ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Selecting Our Successors
  • From: shahshah@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:41:51 +0330 (IRST)

At the risk of repeating what others have already said re Annette's
general concerns:
1. The experience of formulating a channel for at-large concerns in ICANN
has shown that no simple 'ideal' solution may be in sight and perhaps one
should do some experimenting before everything is settled. Meanwhile to
address Annette's legitimate fear of capture or domination in the early
stages, we could propose as part of the reform process that a new third
function be added to ALAC's agenda, namely a continued evaluation of the
process of at-large representation through ALAC itself. When and if
consensus is reached for a change in the mode of representation,
recommendations may be made to the following reform stage.
2. We should realize that ICANN functions may not be on the agenda of many
in the Internet community at large, anyway. Those with concern will come
in once some kind of channel is opened, and if they can't, there should be
some channels (website, etc.) for them to be heard and attended to.
Siavash

> Without going to details, I see this a little bit simlar to what happened
> AP RALO formation discussion.
>
> On the one hand, we wanted to go fast and establish initial RALO, without
> waiting many ALSs to aplly and join, then based on this RALO, we could
> further expand and enrich the organization. On the other hand, we wanted
> to make sure we have enough "representation" or at least out reach so that
> we will not miss those potential players to become real and active
> players.
>
> The problem was that the minimal criteria for RALO was in a sense so low,
> more than three ALSs from more than two contries, it is hard to determine
> what is the appropriate level to form a RALO.
>
> I have no clear answer (yet). And I also see this ALS - RALO - ALAC
> is a complex layered system, better to simplfy. But as some of us said,
> changing the rule of the game while at play is not the best way. Though
> sometimes, some games/sports change their rules, within their own
> legitimate
> process and procedures, of course. If you look at how FIFA changed the
> "offside" rule, you can still see some confusion and experimentation ;-)
>
> Sorry, nothing definitive, but that's what we are facing, and at one point
> we have to decide in onw way or another.
>
> thanks,
>
> izumi

IPM/IRNIC
P.O.Box 19395-1795, Shahid Bahonar Sq.
Tehran 19548, Iran
Phone: (+98 21) 22 82 80 80, 22 29 03 06
Cell: (+98 912)104 2501
Fax: (+98 21) 22 29 57 00
Email: shahshah@xxxxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxx, shahshah@xxxxxxxxx