ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Some ideas for a process for GNSO endorsement of AoC Review Team Volunteers

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Some ideas for a process for GNSO endorsement of AoC Review Team Volunteers
  • From: Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:11:43 -0300

Chuck,
in relation with your question, let me first point this paragraph from ICANN
Web page, by Rod Beckstrom:

"The Affirmation broadens ICANN's reporting commitment to the entire global
Internet community, and it cements the ICANN multi-stakeholder bottom-up
model. A series of reviews embodied in the Affirmation will help ensure a
high degree of public, global accountability throughout the ICANN
community."

The origin of the AOC and its own process must be found in the World Summit
of Information Society in its two phases, Geneva 2003 and Tunis 2005, where
one of the major debates was related witht the role of the USA and its
relationship with ICANN. Then within the WGIG and the IGF the whole Internet
communty, and ICANN have realized the relevance of involving "the entire
global internet community".

Having said so, geographic diversity becomes relevant, and giving the
constrains that developing countries find in participating, I would say that
not only regional diversity is important but a fair representation of the
developing world. We should remember that in the Development Agenda of the
United Nations ICTs and Internet are considered a "leapfrog from
development".

Gender balance is also always desirable.

This does not mean that not qualified candidates should be endorsed just
because they match the regional diversity requirement.

There are many excellent potential candidates that can meet the regional
diversity criteria, who also have the necessary qualifications. Also from
developing countries, and some  of them are women.

Regards
Olga