ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Some ideas for a process for GNSO endorsement of

  • To: "Olga Cavalli" <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Some ideas for a process for GNSO endorsement of
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:46:47 -0500

Thanks Olga.

Chuck

________________________________

        From: olgacavalli@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:olgacavalli@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Olga Cavalli
        Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:32 PM
        To: Gomes, Chuck
        Cc: Rafik Dammak; gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] Some ideas for a process for GNSO
endorsement of

        Hi,
        in the mail I just sent I made a mistake, it says:

        "leapfrog from development".

        and it should say:

        "leapfrog for development".

        Apologies.

        Regards
        Olga

        2010/2/6 Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                Chuck,
                in relation with your question, let me first point this
paragraph from ICANN Web page, by Rod Beckstrom:

                "The Affirmation broadens ICANN's reporting commitment
to the entire global Internet community, and it cements the ICANN
multi-stakeholder bottom-up model. A series of reviews embodied in the
Affirmation will help ensure a high degree of public, global
accountability throughout the ICANN community."

                The origin of the AOC and its own process must be found
in the World Summit of Information Society in its two phases, Geneva
2003 and Tunis 2005, where one of the major debates was related witht
the role of the USA and its relationship with ICANN. Then within the
WGIG and the IGF the whole Internet communty, and ICANN have realized
the relevance of involving "the entire global internet community".

                Having said so, geographic diversity becomes relevant,
and giving the constrains that developing countries find in
participating, I would say that not only regional diversity is important
but a fair representation of the developing world. We should remember
that in the Development Agenda of the United Nations ICTs and Internet
are considered a "leapfrog from development".

                Gender balance is also always desirable.

                This does not mean that not qualified candidates should
be endorsed just because they match the regional diversity requirement.

                There are many excellent potential candidates that can
meet the regional diversity criteria, who also have the necessary
qualifications. Also from developing countries, and some  of them are
women.

                Regards
                Olga