ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: 5.a.1 Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 5.a.1 Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:40:29 -0400

Election of Board members by the entire Council has in fact been a way
of ensuring that the Board member has been elected by half the group.
Especially if Nomcom members vote, then you could elect a chair that 2
of the 4 SGs strenuously oppose. Not acceptable. Indeed, it makes no
sense to adopt the bicameral approach and then not use it when it does
the best job of balancing the different interests.

The entire history of GNSO Council Board elections should refute the
pretense that a Board member elected by the Council is somehow of
broader appeal and more accountable to the entire community.