ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] updated advice on consumer metrics, per 20-November WG conference

  • To: "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] updated advice on consumer metrics, per 20-November WG conference
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 01:24:28 +0000

Team,

Attached is hopefully our final version of advice on definitions, metrics, and
targets for consumer trust, consumer choice, and competition in the new gTLD
program.

We had a 2-hour call today where Jeff Neuman walked through registry
stakeholder concerns and questions.  Glad to say that we addressed these
concerns while retaining the metrics and gathering the data we think will be
useful to the Affirmation Review team that will examine the gTLD expansion in
2015.

The main changes today are on page 14 regarding Consumer Choice.  In the prior
draft, we had 4 metrics to assess how well registrants and users understand the
benefits and restrictions of TLDs.   These metrics combined the needs of
registrants and users, even though they have different perspectives.  And we
had separate metrics for disclosure and "plain language" clarity.

In this draft, we have separate metrics for registrants and for users, where we
directly measure their "understanding" as a result of plain language disclosure
or other ways that foster understanding of a TLD's restrictions, such as
advertising, registrar websites, etc.

We now have 2 metrics to replace the 4 we had in the previous version:

[2.1] Measure potential registrants’ understanding of TLD benefits and
restrictions, such that potential registrants can make informed choices about
registration of their domain names.  This measure includes only open gTLDs.

[2.2] Measure Internet users’ understanding of TLD eligibility restrictions,
such that Internet users can make informed choices about reliance on domain
names in that TLD.    (This measure includes all gTLDs.)

Would be glad to explain the discussion and conclusions to any WG members who
have questions.   Have also attached a redline comparing changes from v3.0 to
today's version 3.1

Regards,
Steve