ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] RE: updated advice on consumer metrics, per 20-November WG conference

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] RE: updated advice on consumer metrics, per 20-November WG conference
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:15:13 -0500

Evan,

Your generalizations about the public interest and disclosure are based only on
your personal beliefs.  And while I appreciate that, lets look at the facts.

1.        DNS is a “public resource.”  Every single organization in the world
that operates online in some way or fashion, whether a business, non-profit
organization, individual, etc. uses public DNS.  Some also use private DNS, but
all of them are also using public DNS.  Can you name any organization or
individual that has a registered domain name that discloses what you expect
them to disclose….yet they all use your so-called public resource.

2.       Obligation to disclose.  You seem to miss that the ICANN Agreement
(and indeed the application to be a new TLD) contains a huge number of public
disclosures on the operation of the TLD….which we believe provides the public
with more than the basic information you reference below.

3.       “in case of possible spam, malware or other bad action traceable to a
.neustar domain”….  Again, how does disclosing the benefits or restrictions, or
even the registration policies of a closed TLD assist anyone with spam, malware
or other bad action?  Remember, the ICANN Agreement does require every registry
to disclose an abuse point of contact.  As a registry that has taken down more
abusive domain name registrations than any other, and one involved in security
circles around the globe, your statement on this point makes no sense.

4.       “The DNS is ICANN’s resource”….this is simply not true.  DNS Is a
resource that is usable by every individual, organization, business, etc that
has a presence on the Internet.  99% of DNS has nothing to do with ICANN.

5.       “I want metrics that make it explicit”.  Again, I am sorry you missed
the call this past week, but you are trying to create new requirements for
registries that are not present in the guidebook or the ICANN Registry
Agreement.  To create new metrics based on obligations that are not contained
in the Guidebook or the Agreement is to set the program up for failure.  If you
wanted those explicit disclosures, the time to get that as a requirement was
during the years spent debating the Guidebook or the Registry Agreement.  That
time has long passed.

6.       We are all vested in the program, whether it be individuals,
consumers, intellectual property owners, ISPs, businesses, governments, and
yes, even registries and registrars.

My interventions were meant to ensure that the GNSO approves the letter and can
send it on to the Board.  Without such interventions, the Registries and the
Registrars (which include representation of the Applicants) will not endorse
the letter.  With the interventions, it has a lot better chance of success.  My
goal has always been to ensure that the fruits of your months work makes it to
the Board and I believe with the changes in this last draft it has that chance
now. As I stated on the call, I believe the registries will be able to support
the letter (although I need to send it back to them for a final review).  I ask
that in the spirit of compromise, the WG approve this latest draft and I will
do my share in trying to get the GNSO to approve the letter to send to the
Board.  I believe the changes are reasonable and do not alter the true meaning
of the criteria that was set.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs