ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dt-wg]

RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts

  • To: <gnso-dt-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dt-wg] Collecting Facts
  • From: "Patrick Jones" <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:35:10 -0700

I suspect that you are asking for information that can only be provided by
the registries - this would be specialized data and it is not something that
ICANN staff has.

If a name is "re-registered" in one month, 3 months, 6 months or one year
after the initial registration (and deletion after 5 days), how can you call
that "kiting"? I think Jothan's comment earlier today was very helpful in
drawing the distinction between "kiting" and tasting. See
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-dt-wg/msg00031.html. We should be
distinguishing between the "intent not to pay" ("kiting") vs "reviewing the
suitability of a domain name" ("tasting"), and then looking for specific
facts and research on how the five day add grace period may or may not be
contributing to abuse.

Patrick

Patrick L. Jones
Registry Liaison Manager
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Tel: +1 310 301 3861
Fax: +1 310 823 8649