ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] IDNG WG Motion Draft2

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] IDNG WG Motion Draft2
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:12:52 +0200

Hi,

I am sure that as a member of ALAC, you are free to make such comments about the ccNSO. I do not see why others would not be.

Personally, I think it is very fair for the council whose task it is to be responsive to the GNSO, the organization whose collective membership - including the gTLD registrants and those contracted to provide them services - provide 93.8% (I think that is the number) of the 2010 budget, are entitled to make some comment relating to the fact that the way is being eased by ICANN for IDNccTLDS while being made more difficult for new gTLDS, including IDNgTLDs. I think it is also reasonable to pay attention to the needs of non governmental organizations in those regions of the world where non-roman character are prevalent for gTLDS as opposed to ICANnN granting the market to the government controlled players.

In my personal opinion, the issue here is fairness. going into the root at the same time is fair. Anything else is problematic.

As for the ccNSO not taking it kindly, I can only hope that continuing our discussions in a bilateral manner will help bring greater understanding of the SO's respective positions. We are all aware that we have differences of opinion.

a.