ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: Process forward [RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD]

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Process forward [RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD]
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:26:14 -0500

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
Thanks Eric.  I do not want to get into defining 'single-registrant TLD' or
estimating market demand. I am just pointing out that, if there is some
consensus that various tracks might be desirable, there is certain to be a
huge debate about prioritization.  I recall this was recognized long ago,
when I first got formally involved in the new TLD PDP (a 'Task Force'
meeting in MDR), and ultimately was embodied in the GNSO's policy
recommendations which did not include any sort of silos or other
prioritization scheme.

Mike, I'm surprised today to find 5 figures worth of registrations within a "single-registrant" RFP, so I'm sure that defining what a "single-registrant" application is, is something reasonable people could differ on.

On the volume of applications however I think you've a duty to dot the last eye and cross the last tee. If, as a queuing problem, which I'm sure exist in business logic, not just computer science scheduler problems, there are two queues, and one queue may be unbounded, and the other queue is bounded, than a queue service routing that serves the unbounded queue before the bounded queue will never serve the bounded queue.

So in ordering the single-registrant, for which we can't be certain is bounded below whatever number Thomas Narten's conjectured volume of root zone change events in a year, or ICANN application window, before community-based applications, for which CORE's knowledge suggests is for the bounded below that limit, you've potentially created an ordering that will never serve a known, finite set of applications, but will serve an unknown, significantly larger, set of applications.

Now if you think "it can't happen", that's OK. At some point, and I've no idea how many meetings hence, the numbers of applications visiting each decision point in the evaluation process will be public knowledge. Perhaps it will have happened, perhaps it won't.

The later Council resolutions were dealing with differing tracks between
gTLDs and ccTLDs, not differing tracks within gTLDs.  The Council was
addressing a situation it could not control, with ccTLDs, rather than any
situation purportedly within GNSO's policy ambit.

I appreciate that the Council was addressing a situation it could not control -- as otherwise I suspect that there would be no "ccTLD IDN FT" at all, or a "ccTLD IDN PDP" that Edmond and I suppose I hope to coordinate in a cc+g context so that consistency, and synchronous availability goals can be met as well as circumstances allow -- but what does the 31 July '08 language mean if it means anything at all?

Thanks for you time Mike,
Eric