ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: Process forward [RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Process forward [RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD]
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:47:30 -0800

Thanks Eric.  I do not want to get into defining 'single-registrant TLD' or
estimating market demand. I am just pointing out that, if there is some
consensus that various tracks might be desirable, there is certain to be a
huge debate about prioritization.  I recall this was recognized long ago,
when I first got formally involved in the new TLD PDP (a 'Task Force'
meeting in MDR), and ultimately was embodied in the GNSO's policy
recommendations which did not include any sort of silos or other
prioritization scheme.

The later Council resolutions were dealing with differing tracks between
gTLDs and ccTLDs, not differing tracks within gTLDs.  The Council was
addressing a situation it could not control, with ccTLDs, rather than any
situation purportedly within GNSO's policy ambit.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
548 Market Street
San Francisco, CA  94104