ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:14:44 -0500

Chuck,

Coming from you, I think that will get the appropriate attention. Coming from Werner and Eric, to the KPMG guy, who clearly wanted to hear what he thought we should be saying, rather than what we were in fact saying, about the design of the evaluation process, had no discernible effect.

Clearly, ICANN entertained this notion last year with the "qualified operator" proposal, so that the applications brought by "pre-qualified operators" would not necessarily inflict repeated cost for whatever constitutes determining if {VGRS|NS|AF|CORE|COOP} are technically qualified to operate a registry where no substantive changes in the contract is assumed.

This problem cuts both ways. I've already described the benefit of disclosure of application inter-dependence, now consider the cost, the non-monetary cost, of non-discovery of inter-dependence.

Suppose Fly-by-Nite-Registry-Wannabie-LLC (FbNRW-LLC) submits an application for R1. Upon evaluation, FbNRW-LLC is just barely capable of operating R1. However, FbNRW-LLC has also submitted applications for R2, R3, ... all of which have the same evaluation results. Just barely qualified.

The only way the current process allows this information to be known, by anyone other than FbNRW-LLC, is when FbNRW-LLC fails to operate one or more, even all of R1 or R2 or R3 or ... When they don't meet their performance numbers.

OK, so there's an after-market in buying bad registry paper but what is the process win in this?

Now one place we didn't want to go was where Mike just suggested, the fee and cost recovery. This may just be a CORE thing, we're reconciled to the cost, so long as it results in evaluation for known criteria, contract to known terms, and delegation in known time. We're trying to persuade ICANN to improve the process using language they are capable of hearing. Nearly every Board member I spoke to at Sydney about Step by Step (a proposal to accept applications and process those for which no complicated evaluation was required, and no objections offered, while the complicated evaluation criteria is yet to be completed, and therefore unimplemented) had, as their first question "Are you trying to reduce fees?" And as hard as it was, the answer was "No. We're trying to reduce time."

Avri, I hope this answers part of your question.

Eric