ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Eric Brunner-Williams" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:52:13 -0500

I suspect we have gotton off topic for this list but it is an
interesting discussion that I continue below.

Chuck

I doubt it will get any more attention coming from me.  In my comments
to DAG1 and DAG2 I recall making what I thought was a strong case that
applicants who file multiple applications should not be required to
subsidize applicants who file one application.  But that was rejected by
Staff without any sound justification.

> Clearly, ICANN entertained this notion last year with the
> "qualified operator" proposal, so that the applications
> brought by "pre-qualified operators" would not necessarily
> inflict repeated cost for whatever constitutes determining if
> {VGRS|NS|AF|CORE|COOP} are technically qualified to operate a
> registry where no substantive changes in the contract is assumed.
>
> This problem cuts both ways. I've already described the
> benefit of disclosure of application inter-dependence, now
> consider the cost, the non-monetary cost, of non-discovery of
> inter-dependence.

I don't think anyone would argue with the idea that the evaluation
process should be as cost-effective as possible.  That said, any step
that reduces costs without sacrificing the integrity of the process
should be encouraged.  On a side question: is there such a thing as a
non-monetary cost, especially with regard to the proposed new gTLD
process?