ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:24:43 -0500

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
Thanks Chuck, that helps a bit, but I would like to understand the details
of how an existing gTLD registry might offer an IDN equivalent "in a way to
minimize any confusion".  I think I saw a mention of 'sharing a root zone
file' but there was no explanation.  If this is already explained somewhere,
then maybe I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Mike,

The problem was first considered, and several solutions explored, by the .cn, .tw, .hk and .ma registries, the Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) in 2000. At the time I worked for NeuStar, and was directly involved.

An interesting proposal, interesting to me as a co-author, along with Scott Hollenbeck of NetSol, now VGRS, of EPP, was a registration in one registry would trigger events in the other, cooperating registries. As mechanism, an EPP provisioning client<->server event could (this was the protocol part of the discussion) result in one or more EPP provisioning server<->server events. The change to EPP was not adopted, and provisioning server<->server events were accomplished by other means.

[More generally, a change to the EPP client-server model would allow registrars to escrow their data with an escrow server, while transacting with the registry server, and other things now done out of band, and generally manually. End EPP trivia aside.]

My first observation is that intentional similarity is not restricted to a single, existing gTLD or other registry, but relies upon plural, cooperative agreement.

My second observation is that only a part of any two or more zone files need to manifest the cooperation between the zone file managers. The complete equivalence, whether attempted via DNAME or exhaustive, string by string equivalences, is not necessary for user benefit in the shared script to be preserved by registry operations.

We have unimplemented instances of this in the legacy, ASCII registries. A number of cooperatives, and museums, registered their names with the only registrar, and registry, accepting non-governmental, non-territorial applications at the time. As some later point in time, registries for cooperatives and museums were authorized by ICANN, and operationalized.

The intent by registries to create non-confusion could have been that data of a particular type, such as registrations by cooperatives and museums, in one zone file, created data in another zone file.

This hasn't happened, but it could, and you asked, "how an existing gTLD registry might offer ...", so I've pointed to the general answer. The "... an IDN equivalent" answer Chuck's already offered the "asia" and "chung guo" example.

I want to point out, as an example, that while the "views" of Arabophone Africans of "Africa" (in Arabic Script) and Francophone and Anglophone Africans of "Africa" (in Latin Script) have a non-empty intersection, there may be distinct views of a resource associated with names, for which distinct resolutions to distinct network resources is more appropriate than not.

My third observation is that an approach to the formation of intent by registries is necessarily incomplete if the evaluation framework excludes user benefit as the motivation of the registry(ies) applicant(s).

And that, unfortunately, is the state of the DAGvX.

Eric