ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] 3rd Draft on Sting Similarity
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:03:36 +0100

Hi,

1. I do not believe you have proven anything.  You have shown one statement
that indicates that meaning may need to be taken into account if it can be
shown to be material.  I agree that meaning can be brought into discussions
when it is relevant, predominantly in objections in cases where the intent is
to commit fraud.  I am arguing that nothing in the GNSO recommendations makes
'meaning' a primary criteria.  Your arguments about protecting the investment
in the good name of .dpn have more to do with recommendation 3 then with
recommendation 2.  Otherwise you have just argued frequently and insistently
that 'meaning' is there and was the intent, but that is just not the case.  Do
meaning as a primary criteria for confusingly similar and where we reached
consensus (even rough consensus) on that issue.  It is not in the report and I
do not expect you will find it in the record.

2. If you read the substantiating comments you will see that almost all of the
discussion is about visual and aural issues with meaning only mentioned in the
context of the case where it can be expected that the average customer would
understand both languages. In the only quote that references meaning:

> For words, the visual comparison coincides with the phonetic comparison
> unless in the relevant language the word is not pronounced as it is written.
> It should be assumed that the relevant public is either unfamiliar with that
> foreign language, or even if it understands the meaning in that foreign
> language, will still tend to pronounce it in accordance with the phonetic
> rules of their native language.

Meaning is only referenced in a conditional reference not as a primary
condition for judging similarly.

Additionally that section specifically mentions:

> Mere association, in the sense that the later mark brings the earlier mark to
> mind is insufficient to find a likelihood of confusion, unless the average
> consumer, in bringing the earlier mark to mind, is led to expect the goods or
> services of both marks to be under the control of one single trade source

Which I read to state that even if you might associated a translated name with
an existing LDH names it would take a average consumer explanation in order to
be probative.  I.e the average Chinese consumer would need to be confused in
recognizing   .鸭汤 as being similar to .duck-soup.

3. International Trademark law, as far as this non lawyer but child of a lawyer
can tell, is not consistent on the subject of the significance of meaning - but
in general it must be shown that there is either confusion in the average
individual or an intent to mislead, 'meaning' in itself, however, does not seem
to be sufficient without supporting conditions.  BTW, in the new gTLD process I
only registered a concern, that recommendation 2 could be abused by use of
trademark law to make it apply to translations as well as to objective
technical criteria, thus making it a duplicate of Recommendation 3.  As I learn
more about trademark law (long way to go yet), I find that it can be used to
exclude meaning as often, if not more, then it can used to include meaning.  As
far as I can tell international trademark law is multifaceted on this issue,
but I am not a trademark lawyer.  But yes, you are right I was in the minority
in relations to the application of trademark law to a technical criteria
recommendation.

4. A more detailed case would need to built with the help of those trained in
trademark law, I will recruit some trademark lawyers to help me build this case
to satisfy your request for a legally valid argument.    This will take time,
but this disagreement is not going to go away anytime soon.

5. This does not seem the place for this argument.  That is why i continue to
insist we use examples that are non controversial.

cheers

a.