ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Reactions to first meeting

• To: GNSO IGO INGO WG <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Reactions to first meeting
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 18:05:40 -0400

It might make sense, but I cannot see us coming to closure on it in the 31 Jan time-frame. Even with all of the arguments and documents regarding the "special situation" of the RCRC and IOC, it was difficult to get a DT consensus (or even strong belief) that the interim protections were the right thing to do. I sense that for the larger (and currently VERY undefined) superset of IGOs, there is no way that we could come to closure.

This is one of those times when I think that it would be quite reasonable that, IF the GNSO agrees to the interim RCRC/IOC protection (or if the Board acts similarly in lieu of a GNSO recommendation), and IF the GAC comes up with the definitive (and finite) list of IGOs to be considered, that if the Board feels the names should be reserved pending the PDP, it should take such action itself.

Somewhere along the way, we need to sit down and try to document all of these "surprise last minute decisions" we have had to make, and try to understand why they came about. Lack of early insight? Pigheadedness? Ostriche head-in-the-sand? Loudest-shouter-wins? Probably a bit of all of the above, but there are surely lessons we can learn about our multi-stakeholder model that has not served us as well as it should have.

Alan

At 02/11/2012 05:02 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Thanks Alan for continuing the dialog with some good points. With regard to the 31 Jan 2013 Board motion deadline, I note that it only relates to the IOC & RC names, not the IGO names, so it literally does not apply to the IGO names. But, if we recommend interim protection for IOC & RC names in case the PDP doesn’t finish in time, would it also make sense to consider the something similar for other names?

Chuck

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy