ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpd]

Re: [gnso-irtpd] Example email string

  • To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpd] Example email string
  • From: Kevin Erdman <krerdman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:04:07 -0500

Hi Rob & Volker,

I disagree with the position that a party using illegally obtained credentials
to effect a transfer is a valid transfer.  In the banking world, if I get Rob's
banking credentials and transfer $10K to my account in North Korea, I complied
with the procedures for a "valid transfer" but the transfer is reversible and
has consequences.  In the domain world, most courts have no power to get a
domain transferred to North Korea, but ICANN does.  Thus, I think that there
should be some allowance to hijack victims under ICANN policy to pursue a
fraudulent transfer that was done according to procedure.  The burden placed
upon parties that unknowingly participated in the transfer should be minimal,
but shutting the door on a hijack victim because the hijackers were really good
and followed procedure seems unfair.
Kevin R Erdman

cell 317.289.3934

Sent from my iPhone