ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

Re: [gnso-osc-csg] RE: Actions/Summary: 07 March 2010 NairobiMeeting

  • To: "Papac, Krista" <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] RE: Actions/Summary: 07 March 2010 NairobiMeeting
  • From: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:54:05 +0900

Hello All,

I am little surprised that the most active groups (and those having strong
interests in domain names) sounds having problems to find people who can
commit and volunteer :)

let's say that the 2 years term and 2 terms limitations is the  worse case,
but if Registrar group want 1 year term, it is up to them. if the limitation
is 3 years in office which is less than 4 years (2+2 in GNSO) it may be
accepted too.

we need to find common ground, I am really worried that we are keeping
exceptions every time for each recommendation and making them too much weak
with all these rewording .
@Krista it is important to mandate a length of time for term, otherwise
there is a risk  capture  and less accountability.

Regards

Rafik
2010/3/19 Papac, Krista <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>    1. It is not easy to find people who can commit to two-year terms.  In
>    the case of my SG, we already need three people who can commit to two-year
>    terms if we extend the requirement to the EC also, it means we now need
>    seven people who can make such a commitment.  This is not practical or
>    easily done.
>    2. I don’t believe it is the GNSO’s purpose nor their goal to tell
>    GROUPs what their term limits should be, but rather to develop common
>    principles.  Term limits are a common principle and should be applied, but
>    how does the GNSO know what is an appropriate term limit for a given group?
>    3. I don’t understand why we feel it is appropriate to mandate any
>    length of time for a term.  Victoria, why do you feel so strongly about
>    setting the term limit and/or setting it to two-years?
>    4. I agree with Zahid, it is not a matter of status quo or interest.
>    It is a practical matter.
>

> Krista Papac
> Iron Mountain Digital
> 5530 Bandini Blvd
> Bell, CA  90201  US
> Home Office: +1.714.846.8780
> Mobile: +1.714.865.7655
> Fax: +1.323.443.3573
> krista.papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> *“Software Escrow for Dummies”** - order your complimentary copy t*oday at
> <http://www.ironmountain.com/escrowfordummies>
> www.ironmountain.com/escrowfordummies
>

> *New Gartner Report: Successful Software Escrow Requires Planning and
> Negotiation*
>
> Gartner advises: “It is also important that the licensee continue to track
> the software vendor’s financials and viability annually, because any signs
> of financial problems would justify the cost of verification services.”
> Continue reading the full report at:
> http://www.gartner.com/technology/media-products/reprints/ironmountain/170569.html

JPEG image