ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:53:35 -0500

I can give my opinions...

At 08/02/2010 02:11 PM, Jeff Eckhaus wrote:
I have been sorting through this chain of emails and have a few questions on the proposals/wish list.

· Is there really a suggestion that as a Registrar we ask/require our customers for a secondary email address so we can send them notifications?

Since that is a "possible" way to address things, yes - I said that.

It would be really useful if someone would come up with some statistics of what percentage and/or what absolute number of domains use only that domain for all of their contact details. Then we would have some handle on whether this is a potential issue or just a random irrelevant thought that someone had.

· There is a suggestion that Registrars/Resellers provide the email address where they are sending from in advance. Do we have any evidence of renewal notices being caught in spam filters? I just do not want to propose a solution for a problem that does not really exist.

I do not know to what extent renewal notices are periodically caught by spam filters. Based on what is at times caught by my relatively well tuned spam filters, I would be highly surprised if many renewal notices are NOT caught by fitters.

My recollection is that the registrar survey indicates that for some registrars, messages come from a variety of addresses.

Knowing that address is advance would let a prudent registrant take precautions. To what extent this is practical for registrar or likely to be effective, I don't know.

· Does this group think that a change in the Whois will benefit the registrants who do not renew their domain name? Will that provide adequate notice? I am also trying to figure out what a change in the whois will solve.

Depens WHICH change you are referring to. Certainly a change to make the expiration date clear (despite the registry auto-renew grace period) would be helpful.

· Is ?Providing plain language versions of various policy statements? within scope of this group?

If we determine that the current language leads to a registrant who is not aware of important issues, I think that it is.

I am asking these in advance of tomorrow so we do not get bogged down discussing these items from the wishlist if they are not pertinent or valid. Basically if they are just a wishlist and nothing more.

They started out as Mikey's wish list. As I noted, in at least one case, it is on MY anti-wish-list. Where they fall at the end we will see.

Thanks

Jeff