ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Mikey's wish lists
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:42:10 -0500

Rob, A few points:

- First, we are talking about what we would like to happen, not how it is today. Although the new, currently fictitious, "registrant expiration date" would likely be in the part of thin whois stored at the registrar, it *could* be part of the registry data and available everywhere. - You are probably right that some registrars make it really obvious if you use their WHOIS. It would be nice to have some hard facts here, but I concede that in some cases, it may work fine.
- On others, it doesn't
- I wasn't actually suggesting that the domain show that it is in the 45 day window (although it may have come out that way). I was suggesting that whois show that (in your example) the domain expired on March 10 2010 until the RAE pays for the next year(s) or the domain is taken over by someone else who pays for the (then current) year. Bottom line, when a registrant has the initiative to look at whois, it should tell them if they have renewed or not.

Alan