ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] Whois working group -- subgroup A (reponsibilities)
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 07:12:45 -0700

Please see exchange below between Ross and Philip. Clearly the OPOC
proposal, as reported by the Whois Task Force, is not written in stone
and we should keep that in mind in our discussions.

 Philip Sheppard wrote:
> Ross,
> (I've also copied in Steve and Maria).
>
> I believe we should stick with our charter and that means the mission
is clear.
> I see this in essence as the compromise of privacy enhancement versus
> the potential to enhance accuracy and responsibility).
> This work must continue.
>
> I agree with you that the issue of admin and tech contacts are thus
> peripheral to the main debate. In this context I have the following
suggestion:
> a) It seems wise to not burden a registrant or a registrar with data
> collection that is redundant. So if you are spending new resource on
> making the OPOC accurate and responsive, why would you also continue
> to spend resource on the unchanged obligations for admin and tech ?
> Rolling these 3 functions into one seems logical. If WHOIS is then a
smaller set of better relevant data, that seems a good outcome.

> b) The WHOIS work will not oblige registrars to do more than WHOIS
> demands. Nor will it prevent them from voluntarily doing more. It
> seems therefore that one outcome would be to remove admin and tech
> from WHOIS leaving it to individual registrars to collect such data if

> they choose. (As they do today for billing contact). Nothing in this
WHOIS process would then oblige them to reveal that. Other mechanisms
might, but they are not our concern.

> c) If having specified what OPOC should look like, it ends up being a
> resource-friendly implementation for registrars to confer all that we
> have up till now called "OPOC" upon he who is today called an "admin
> contact" or a "tech contact", then so be it. The end result will be
> the same. Who cares what the contact is called ? The renamed OPOC of
course remains within WHOIS.

> Hope this helps. Let me know if my logic is missing a piece of the
blindingly obvious !

This is fair. Thanks.

-r