ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House

  • To: Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] object to proposal to change name of Non-Contracting Parties House
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:41:13 +0200

Hi,

On 12 May 2009, at 01:38, Alan Greenberg wrote:

To weigh in here, I have no problem with "non-contracting". "User" was the term we used for much of the last year, and can easily live with that. Adding "provider" will cause endless confusion (since Registrars and Registries are the providers of domain names) and I would object to that strenuously.

I have no real preference in this either way nd am comfortable with the original names as documented, but I do want to caution that the suggested new names might cause confusion.

e.g in looking at a random dictionary i get

supplier ▸ noun: someone whose business is to supply a particular service or commodity

provider ▸ noun: someone whose business is to supply a particular service or commodity

Yes, in one case it is the first definition and in another it is the second definition, but using synonyms might not be the best idea in an attempt to clarify.

With a certain amount of trepidation I offer another possibility (and will not raise a peep if it is totally rejected or ignored)

How about keeping Contracted Parties for the contracted parties since they seem happy with it and using Registrants and Users (or perhaps Registrants, Users , and Services) for the other house.

a.

a.