ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q14 on privacy laws

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q14 on privacy laws
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:29:07 -0700

On May 12, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

Article X, Section 5, Stakeholder Groups, Item 3

Item 3 proposed changes from the document:

• Each Stakeholder Group identified in paragraph 1 of this Section (link TBD) and each of its approved Constituencies shall maintain recognition with the ICANN Board. Recognition is granted by the Board based upon the extent to which, in fact, the entity represents the global interests of the stakeholder communities it purports to represent and operates to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner consistent with prevailing privacy laws and consistent with procedures designed to ensure fairness. Stakeholder Group and Constituency Charters will be reviewed periodically as prescribed by the Board.

Should the first sentence be reworded to say, “Each of the approved Constituencies of each Stakeholder Group identified in paragraph 1 of this Section (link TBD) shall maintain recognition with the ICANN Board.” (Note that I reworded this after the meeting. I think I was consistent with what was stated but please comment it if is not.)

Q14 Should the change “consistent with prevailing privacy laws” be retained

· Alternatively: should it be replaced with “consistent with applicable privacy laws”? or some other wording

I prefer “consistent with applicable privacy laws” as it seems clearer than "prevailing", but I am fine with either. The idea should be retained.

Thanks,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx