ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law

  • To: gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:04:18 -0400

Hi,

As the conversation on this has come to a lull and somewhat of an impasse, I would like to suggest some phrasing that I hope helps in reaching consensus on this important point. In reading the messages, some of the important themes I picked up were:

- there should be parity between the requirements on the SGs
- geographical diversity is necessary but difficult and may sometime require exceptions - other forms of diversity including but not limited to sector and skill set are also important, but harder to define in a manner that is appropriate for by-laws.

Building on a suggestion made by Jon, I suggest the following for discussion:

Stakeholder Groups should ensure their representation on the GNSO Council is as diverse as possible, including but not limited to geographical region, sector and in terms of skill set. In order to insure geographical diversity, no more then 1/3 of a single Stakeholder groups representatives to the Council can come from any single ICANN defined geographic region; any exception to this requirement must be approved by a 2/3 vote of both houses. In terms of other forms of diversity, SG rules and procedures as well as outreach programs must be put into place to insure maximum possible diversity in all areas.

thanks

a.