ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law

  • To: <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q5 diversity by-law
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:55:20 -0400

As I read that, the non-contracted SGs would need an exemption potentially every year (assuming we stay at 5 regions), effectively meaning that the entire Council must approve one of their Councillors. I find that wrong on several counts.

Also the "up to the number of seats allocated for that SG" is really redundant - there is no way to go above, and the previous part of the sentence covers all below the limit. I think a simple change in that phrase addresses both issues.

"Each GNSO Stakeholder Group (SG) Council Representative shall be selected from a different ICANN geographic region up to the number of ICANN regions. Any exceptions to this requirement shall require a 2/3 vote of both houses but in no case shall more than two representatives come from the same geographic region."

Alan

If all of the above are true, then here is some possible language:

"Each GNSO Stakeholder Group (SG) Council Representative shall be
selected from a different ICANN geographic region up to the number of
seats allocated for that SG.  Any exceptions to this requirement shall
require a 2/3 vote of both houses but in no case shall more than two
representatives come from the same geographic region."

Thoughts?