ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-thickwhois-dt]

RE: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] weekly status report

  • To: "Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx PDP DT" <Gnso-thickwhois-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-thickwhois-dt] weekly status report
  • From: "Drazek, Keith" <kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:12:31 +0000

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the insight. It sounds like there could be multiple models of Whois
Data authority, which seems appropriate.

Another question around the “authoritative” issue concerns privacy laws and
anticipated cross-border transfers of data.

For a TLD that has always had Thick Whois, the rules were established (and
presumably accepted by the registrants in their registration agreement with the
registrar) from their initial launch date. The registrants in those TLDs gave
their consent for the data transfer upon registration of their domain name(s).

However, transferring personal Whois data for 100+ million registrations from
scores of international jurisdictions to a single entity could raise additional
privacy concerns. The question of which entity in which jurisdiction has
“authority” over the Whois data may need to be considered by the WG and should
not necessarily be presumed to be the registry in every case, dependent upon
national laws and the range of service offerings across various registries.

Thanks, Keith

Keith Drazek
Director of Policy
kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx