ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:16:10 -0500

Hi,

My brief answer, from my understanding, is that Vertical Integration is defined
in respect to the product distribution chain and the relationship between the
choke point for the product (registry) and its distribution point (registrar),
not the corporate structure itself (ownership or contractual relationship
between Ry and Rr).

If the product, in this case the names, are available as recommendation 19 of
the gtld recommendations requires, then the product is not being restricted to
the vertically integrated distribution chain.

Where i think it gets fuzzy, and an issue for the WG and the relationship rules
between Registries and Registrars and not definitions, is whether it is really
possible for there to be full and equal access for all registrars in cases
where there is a controlling ownership or affiliation relationship between a
Registry and Registrar, despite the requirement for full and equal access to
all registrars.  And the auxiliary question, also a WG and not definitional
question, whether this maters for names in cases where there is no market power
or in the case of the internal consumption only .brand or boutique names.

a.