ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:17:24 +0100

This is an interesting discussion. So can the group agree on a definition of VI?

The latest version of the one that has been proposed is:

VI is defined as a business structure in which there is no separation between
the registry operator and the registrar in relation to a particular gTLD. They
are either owner and operated by the same company or have another contractual
affiliation that covers the specific gTLD, and the domain name supplier is not
required to provide full and equal access to independent firms to sell names
under its gTLD.

Is everyone OK with this?

Beyond the defining VI, I think we need to work on the charter and the
objectives it is going to set for the PDP WG.

I would like to ask Glen to send to this list an updated list of the DT
participants, which I think we then consider final.

Moving on, are people OK with moving ahead through the initial steps Avri had
suggested in a previous email?

These were:

Week 1, 2  -  Council Drafting team will create a charter for the group
                   -  Original recruitment for group members wil go out to the
constituencies and the ICANN community.
                   -  Staff begins documentation on existing approaches and
practices, differentiating among Vertical Integration, Joint Marketing
approaches
                       and cross-ownership, indicating differences of the
effects on registrants and users of the approaches.

If so, I would definitely think it a good idea to ask Staff to provide us with
supporting documentation as suggested.

Thoughts?

Stéphane