ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] What do we mean by "single registrant"?
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:37:52 -0700

Roberto,

A reasonable approach perhaps. But how long will this take? How much can
this group tackle reasonably well and still complete in time to have an
influence on the DAG? Honestly, from our perspective, since we have no
current plans to apply for new TLDs it makes no difference to us. But
that's not the situation others are in. Is the group okay with the first
round rolling out under the conditions the Board resolved to in Nairobi?
If not, we need to be realistic about what can be done.

The policy does not address Singletons, but there is nothing in the DAG
preventing brand owners from applying for gTLDs as long as they can live
with the same rules as everyone else. I propose we leave it at that and
address it further when there is less risk of a rush job that will miss
considering some consequence on either registrants or competition.

Tim