ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:54:33 -0400

Hi,

I too often find myself fearing the burdens of regulations, but have come to
accept that a certain amount of freedom to innovate also entails a certain
amount of protection against the excess of some kinds of innovation.

In the case of the rules and auditing requirements for gTLDs that have
cross-ownership above some accepted CAP, these do not have to be overbearing.
Just as small businesses undergo accounting audits from time to time without
dying under the burden, I think audit procedures can be designed that are both
sufficient and lightweight.  What is important is that when discrepancies are
fond there is a way to escalate the audit and a way to redress the problem.

So I must say, I do not feel shame, as suggested by the note below, at being in
favor of allowing more freedom to innovate in return for audits that we
admittedly probably need anyway - even if we were not to allow more freedom for
innovation.  And for the small gTLD that can find no registrar willing to sell
its names, the burden probably be extremely light as there would be precious
little to audit.

a.