ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:07:05 -0400

Well ...

CORE has raised the disproportionate cost of a several items in the
proposed registry agreement, and as we just happen to be doing an
audit under Swiss law and accounting rules, the careless use of
"audit" when we haven't yet really agreed what it is we (that's us,
we're writing the policy recommendation) want measured, and what we
want to be the standards of measurement.

In an earlier note I mentioned this to Jeff N, who I thought would
pick up the issue of carefully crafting something rather than
carelessly throwing around "audit", and then all of us, in North
America and elsewhere, being stuck with it due to Staff's
comfort-level with US-centric definitions.

So some control, we don't yet know what, nor how useless or
burdensome, nor how beneficial.

If there's the choice between acquiring 15% (plus or minus) in a
registrar and some exception, as PIR has proposed, any application
which is exception-qualified (an as yet undefined term) is free to
chose either mechanism.

But I'm pleased to see another reason why .cat has failed so
miserably, because we submit monthly reports to ICANN.

Were you really expecting a policy maker's greenfield? No scars of the
past decade(s) of there having been policy?

Cheer up, this isn't so bad, no worse than any other PDP, and as
platform providers, these are just problems we have to solve.

Eric