ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Depressing consequences
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:19:56 -0400

Jeff E.,

I proposed that NeuStar create a "registrar-in-a-can" in early-2001,
while EPP specification was under way, in part to exercise the client
end of the handshake, in part to have some idea of the registrar's
issues, and mostly because I was anticipating registrar failure and
the registry as being the registry-of-last-and-transient-resort.

This was after I'd written the registry escrow spec with Louis that
went into all of the circa-2000 contracts, and before the registry
escrow spec was developed in 2006.

None of the new registries had a mature client implementation at the
time, or the vehicle to exercise a client, that is, a owned registrar.

Eric