ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Competition authorities
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:11:44 -0400

Hi,

I would think that if any competition authority has a problem with the degree
of cross-ownership then it would not be allowed.

Personally I would prefer it if there had been one place every application
could be sent for checking with competition authorities (e.g. The WTO as a
supranational competition authority) , but as far as I can tell there isn't
one.  And like with most laws, if you come under several jurisdictions you are
bound by the laws of the most restrictive.

At one point I had suggested that instead of the competition authority, yet
anther review panel of International competition experts could be used for
these reviews, but was told by several people that this would not work.  Not
sure I understand why, but I do accept that we are starting to create a lot of
those external review panels and that in itself is might be worrisome.

BTW, we are talking like everyone is going to want to be involved in
cross-ownership whereas I had originally thought it to be the exception.  Why
do people think that there will lots of application that include
cross-ownership?  for example in AVC message I felt like this was going to be a
road block for every poor little new registry and I did not understand that.

a.